Monday, October 15, 2012

Not Off to a Great Start

Yesterday I went to get my groceries for the week. I recently realised how much excess stuff I have in my pantry and thus, decided to start using all of that. So I checked out the cupboard and decided what I needed to buy. Apart from some porridge, I think basically everything I bought was fruit, vegetables, salad and milk.

My bill came in at about $34. I am quite happy with that, especially given that almost $9 of that was for my milk. I am lactose intolerant and thus my milk is a lot more expensive than regular milk. So all in all, a great shop, especially given I often spent around $80 a week on groceries!

As I was driving home, I decided to fill my car up with petrol. I chose to do this even though I had half a tank left. I thought it would be a good discipline exercise if I could limit the days I spent money to the weekends (including Friday). This would help me be better organised and save the money I might usually waste.

Well, that didn't last long.

Today I bought a drink whilst out running an errand for work. It cost me $4. There was no decision making process, I did not even think about buying this drink. It didn't even occur to me that I was trying not to spend during the week.

So it is going to take constantly reminding myself to get me into this new habit. I am determined not to let this bad start deter me, and to keep going and sticking to spending on Friday, Saturday and Sunday only.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment