Monday, May 30, 2011

Cutting Christmas Costs

I love Christmas. The only thing I don’t like about Australia is that we don’t have white Christmas’. However, with a large family (I’m one of four children) and extended family, it can definitely get expensive.


Even though it’s six months away, I think it’s never too early to start planning for Christmas. So here are some small tips for saving money at Christmas time!


- Secret Santa. My family tried this for the first time last year. It didn't save an enormous amount of money (we set a high limit) but it certainly can if you want it to. We also all made a list so we were getting gifts that we wanted. My list had a mixture of wants and needs, saving me money in the future.


- Start saving at New Years. Some banks have Christmas accounts. If yours doesn’t, all you need to do is start an online savings account and put money into it each week. It could be as little as $10 a week but come Christmas time, you will have a nice stash of cash to use for gifts, food and decorations.


- Buy gifts early. I like to buy my Christmas (and birthday for that matter) throughout the year, particularly when I see something on sale! I don’t like the stress of shopping right before Christmas, I prefer to do it slowly and pragmatically. And by either catching things on sale or lay buying them, I end up saving a lot of money.


- Make use of boxing day sales. If you’re not seeing family or friends until after Christmas, put their presents at the Boxing Day Sales. This can save you a lot of money.


Remember, even if you only save $50, that money is better in your pocket than someone else’s.


What are your tips for saving money at Christmas time?



1 comment:

  1. I am not organised this year again, however it,s only May so I have still time to turn that around.
    Sorry about not having commented much lately, my blogger/google account wont let me ????
    Maureen
    " Towards retirement with debt "

    ReplyDelete