Monday, May 9, 2011

Paying Down My Mortgage

In November of last year, I refinanced my mortgage in order to take advantage of a great deal I could get through the company I work for. At the time of refinancing, my mortgage was $302 000.

Now, five months later, my mortgage is at $278 000. I am most excited about this. I have been working hard to minimize my mortgage as much as I can.

I am travelling to France in September and am still saving up for that. But aside from that, every spare cent has been put onto my mortgage. I still have a $9000 emergency fund, so I am feeling good about where I’m sitting.

I do want to buy another property, hopefully soon. However, I want my current mortgage to be as low as possible before I take the plunge and buy another property. I am constantly racking my brain and researching ways to save money in order to put it onto my mortgage.

I haven’t eaten out very much the past five months. I have barely bought any new clothes and I spend most weekends being a homebody. I get a lot of comments on this choice of lifestyle, as people tell me this is the time in my life I should be enjoying myself. I wholeheartedly agree. Travelling is what I enjoy doing, which is why I am going to France in September. I am not willing to sacrifice that, as that is what is most enjoyable to me. So I still put money away diligently for my travel plans, but choose to put much of the rest on my mortgage as eating out and buying clothes is just not as important to me.

And besides, who cares what people think. I know that I am making good financial choices and that is really all that matters!


2 comments:

  1. Wow that's a bid decrease! well done.

    We're the same will sacrifice anything apart from travel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment :) Travel is way too important to sacrifice!

    ReplyDelete