Saturday, September 5, 2009

My Share Portfolio

When the global financial crisis hit last year, everyone I knew was complaining about the severe drop in the share markets, worldwide. I got the bright idea that, while the market was low, buying shares would be a fantastic idea.


So, at the beginning of this year, I began to do some research. I learnt enough. By enough, I mean that I didn’t want to become a trader or anything; I just wanted to invest a little bit of money and then forget about it. So I learnt what was needed in order to invest and was done with it.


Then came my next little problem. I had just returned from a three week trip in Europe. While I had paid all cash for my trip, it had depleted my savings quite significantly. My dad suggested that I speak to my older brother. He was apparently interested in share investing as well but as he was on deployment with the Navy in the Gulf, wasn’t able to do too much.


I emailed him, explaining my investment idea. I suggested we each put in $5000 and invest in a few different companies. He liked my idea. I then asked him if I could borrow my share from him as I didn’t have the cash at the moment. He was more than willing.


I invested our money over about a month. We bought into eight different companies, all of which came highly recommended and all of which were companies I knew well. I was seriously planning on never checking on my shares, or at least not too often.

However, I used the online trading account of my regular bank. They recently changed their set up and now, every time I log into my regular bank account, it shows my share holdings and what they’re worth as well. So I see it almost daily.


At the moment, we’re about $1600 up. Doesn’t sound like much, I know. I still think it was a good investment for both of us and we picked the right time to buy. Now it is merely a waiting game.


I have paid my brother back in full, something I’m very pleased about!

No comments:

Post a Comment