Saturday, June 27, 2009

Getting an Education

I know that many people, all over the world have achieved great success, wealth and happiness with little or no education. I am not one of those people and never will be. Due to my upbringing, I place a great deal of importance on education.

Neither of my parents finished high school and yet, they are both very successful and live comfortably. However, maybe because they didn't complete their educations, they always encouraged my siblings and I to try hard at school and, if it was our desire, to go on to university.

My older brother completed a year of his degree and then joined the Navy. Uni was not for him. This means that I will be the first member of my family to graduate from university (have I mentioned there are only six months to go!) My sister is half-way through her second year of a teaching degree and loves it. My younger brother is undecided but is leaning toward attending the same university I am at or following my older brother into the Armed Forces.

So despite the importance I place on education in my own situation, it's not the same for everybody. My older brother is one of the wealthiest 23 years olds I have ever met and yet, he never completed a degree. However, my sister and I will be getting our degrees and couldn't imagine entering the working world without them.

What does everyone else think about the importance of education?

No comments:

Post a Comment