Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It's worth it!

As a twenty one year old, it's sometimes hard to plan and try to set myself up for the future. I am surrounded by other people who frivolously spend their money on alcohol, food and the latest fashion. Oh how I wish I could afford those things!

The Australian government recently gave $900 to low income earners (under $100 000) as part of the stimulus package. Usually, my frugal self would have saved that money. However, I had been saving for so long and was in such desperate need of some warm winter clothing (it's winter in Australia right now) that I went shopping instead. I also used it to buy some plane tickets home to visit my family, but most of it went on some new, warm, winter clothing. I tried to be smart about it, buying things that would last and would not go out of fashion but it was still a very weird feeling for me.

I just don't haphazardly spend my money like that. If I want something, I usually have to save up for it. It felt good to not have to save for months to be able to keep myself warm this winter, but I was also wracked with an enormous amount of guilt!

Does anyone else feel this way? My peers are able to do this every payday, but not me. Like I said in a previous post, I get $250 to last me for everything for two weeks! Most people around me don't save and I don't know of anyone else at my university with a mortgage. So while it's sometimes hard to resist the temptation, I think it's definitely worth it and I hope it will be ten years from now!

No comments:

Post a Comment