Saturday, June 27, 2009

Wish Lists

I like to write myself a wish list of smaller things that I am saving for (i.e. not a down payment, overseas trip or new car). Sometimes it's as something small as some new undergarments or something as big... actually there is never anything very big on there. Currently, everything on there is around $50-$80. There is one expensive thing on there, my running shoes.

I don't think I have ever spent more than $50 on a pair of shoes. I just did not get that female gene! I like nice shoes but I don't like spending a lot of money on them. However, my running shoes are an exception. I run a lot. I also have knee problems from my childhood days of playing competitive tennis. This means that in order to avoid knee pain, I need to wear a certain type of running shoe which costs around $250. My current ones are looking a little worse for wear but I'm trying to make them last as I save for my next pair. Also, as I bought this pair in September last year, I need to wait until the end of the financial year so I can also claim my new pair on tax. That's right, I get to claim this ridiculously expensive shoes on tax, so that makes things slightly better.

I think it's so important to save for an emergency fund, for a down payment if that is what you desire, for travelling if you love it as much as I do and just for savings in general. But I also think it's important to save for smaller things that you can't afford to buy each week. I get a great deal of pleasure when I cross something off my wish list. I admit, mostly it contains clothes but every so often it has something else on there which I don't need, but really, really want!

Does anyone else use the wish list system?

No comments:

Post a Comment