Monday, June 22, 2009

Roadmap to Wealth

I am a HUGE fan of Meg's blog at http://wealthisgood.blogspot.com. I really enjoy reading it each day or week and I have learnt a great deal from it. One of her earlier posts was entitled 'My Roadmap to Wealth.' In this, she used a number of headings to detail where she was going on her road to wealth. I'm going to use the same headings here today to show anyone out there (is there anyone?), just where I would like to go! Thanks Meg for the inspiration!

Education

1. Receive a Bachelor's Degree in something that will be both interesting and useful to me. Six months to go!
2. Complete a law degree via correspondence whilst working full time.
3. Whilst working full time, volunteer for every course possible ensuring that I am as qualified as I possibly can be.

Security

1. Pay off my car as soon as possible to lessen my monthly burden.
2. Do not acquire anymore consumer debt.
3. Build an emergency fund of $1500 and a back-up emergency fund of approximately $10 000.
4. Continue to contribute 10% (highest amount allowed) to my superannuation account (similar to a 401k I believe- basically this is Australia's version of retirement savings).
5. Own a home to live in. Though my job will require me to relocate every 2-3 years, I still plan to buy a home to live in next year and once I relocate, it will become an investment property.

Giving

1. Find a preferred charity to contribute to each fortnight. I have been meaning to research this for a long time but am yet to actually do it!

Income

1. Have a steady, fulfilling job that pays well. I've already achieved this, yay!
2. Continue to buy property that can later be used as passive income.
3. Continue to invest in shares that can later be used as passive income.

Assets

1. Own five properties (still mortgaged) by the time I am 30. I currently own one and am 21 years old.
2. Build my share portfolio up to around $50 000.

Fun!

1. Ensure that I am always saving for something that may not necessarily improve my life (i.e not a need) but that I really, really want!
3. Travel overseas at least every three years.

Well that's my roadmap to wealth. I am sure it is a work in progress and will change over the next few years, especially once I graduate from university. What does everyone think?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the link and for the compliment! I've added you to my reader and will put you on the blogroll as well. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete